13 June 2014


Click on logo to visit Ginger's blog and view more Friday Freebits


My six paragraphs this week are more from Part One of 
Remnants of Dreams
available at Amazon. Click on cover to visit the page.


"You remember the man who came to fix our gas lamp?" Fiona casually brushed a few crumbs off the table. "Well, I invited him over for tea."
"You did what?" Alicia pushed her sewing aside, scowling.
"I thought you'd be glad of the company." Fiona put Arty on the floor and went to sit on the bed. She slipped out of her shoes and sat rubbing her toes, her head down.
"You thought I'd be glad of the company. I don't believe this." Alicia pressed her palms on the table and stood up. With hands on hips she faced Fiona. "Come off it. You invited him here for your own benefit, not mine. Have you been meeting him on the sly?" She pointed a finger accusingly at Fiona's nose.
Fiona tossed her head and laughed. "Don't be daft. He's nearly old enough to be my father. I think he's a nice sort. You know? He seems gentle; even if a bit rough round the edges."
Alicia couldn't have explained the man better if she'd tried. "What possessed you to invite him here? And how could you have the cheek to ask him without speaking to me about it first?" Alicia demanded, her cheeks hotter than they'd been in a long time.


Remnants of Dreams moves from the horrors of the 1914-1918 war to the 1990s, and paints an unforgettable picture of a changing world and of working class people in North London whose only riches are love and the knowledge that they did their best.

Alicia’s indomitable spirit sustains her and her large family through two wars, illness, death and loss. From her mother’s example Sara finds the courage to escape an intolerable situation and forge a new life in a new country. 

Excellent March 15, 2014 ***** Five stars

By Violet
Format:Kindle Edition|Verified Purchase
This book touched me deeply. Perhaps that's because I was born in North London and the places and people were familiar. I could not put it down. I can honestly say it is one of the best in the genre I have read.

 




 

4 comments:

  1. I'm not at all surprised by Violet's comment. Every book of yours that I've read has been awesome. This one sounds no different and is going on my TBR pile today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do these conflicted interactions so well. Enjoyed your six.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Ginger and Rhobin. Off now to check on your six.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, Tricia. Now I want to read more :-)

    ReplyDelete

A Troubled Heart--pre-released

  Order now for January 24 release Unsure of his real past or name, Finn O’Connor thinks he was born in Ireland and taken from his mother as...